Diving In

Four months ago, getting our house ready to put on the market felt like such a huge mountain to move.  The list seemed to stay the same length as some things got taken off and others added on.  It was exhausting, frustrating and at times felt like the impossible.  But here we are, with a finished amazing looking house.

Four years ago when we decided to sell our little bungalow that we had also been renovating to move in with the Kilborns I am pretty sure our friends and family thought we were all nuts.  I know the same can be said for now.  My brother recently posted on facebook 'And you WANT to leave a house like that?'

How do you let go of the tangible, beautiful, financially valuable things in your life for the things unseen?  How do you turn from everything you know to follow something leading you in the opposite direction?  There are several elements involved, faith, trust...and yes a bit of courage I guess, and maybe a little bit of crazy :)

In the past 10 years as I have tried to walk alongside what God has wanted for my life instead of what I want, I am continually shown that He knows what He is doing and He knows what's best for me-even if it doesn't seem that way in the moment.

For example, when I was approached to work with Art Rae in real estate I was taken aback.  I had no plans of returning to work until my babies were in school, and even then only part time.  But I decided to consult, pray and ask God what he thought of the idea.  The word that came into my head was 'The timing is right'.  Really?  Are you looking at the same calendar I am?  Cuz my baby girl is only 2.  I decided to go for it and the results have been awesome.  Despite the fact that I officially became a licensed Realtor in November 2008 when the housing market took a nosedive, things worked out.  If not for that work our family wouldn't have been able to do the mission trips we have done and our two families (Raes and Snells) would not have the relationship we do now, a relationship that will be vital to our success in Brazil as we navigate the road there together.

A man by the name of Gary Best described what really trusting God looks like in a book called "Naturally Supernatural".  In it he describes a scene of climbing the ladder of a high diving board, inching to the edge of the board to peer into the pool that looks really tiny from your vantage point and to top it off it's EMPTY.  It's at that point that you hear God say, "Jump, and I'll fill the pool".

That image has been heavy on my mind this week.  I feel like I have jumped off the diving board head first and now I am waiting for the water (house to sell, support to come in) to fill the pool.

So do I WANT to leave a house like this?  Truthfully? NO.  It's comfortable, it's pretty, it would be nice to enjoy the fruits of our labour for longer than a couple of months.  But if I have learned anything I have learned to hold these 'things' with an open hand.  The things of life are not what's important and at the end of my days,  I will not take a house and all it's trappings with me.

Matthew 19:29
And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.

Our future is as uncertain as it has ever been.  As of right now we have no idea where we will live from November to January, or where the funds will come from to make Brazil a reality, and yet we feel a great sense of peace about going forward.

Matthew 6:25
"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[e]?

Comments

Anonymous said…
He never forgets to fill the pool! See you next week!
Art Rae said…
Jen,
This is well written and we do look forward to working with you guys in Brazil. It has been quite a journey for us all and will continue to be so:)

You guys are an inspiration to many. Thanks for diving in to what God has called you to!
Dan Thiessen said…
Jen, you write so articulately. If Dan and I have learned anything it's as you said to leave everything in this life with an open hand. God never fails....He is always good. We love you and are blessed to know you.
reintjes1991 said…
Completely agree, except for the 'little bit crazy' part. I'd amend that to 'a lot crazy'. And then I'd stick up for the crazies like this: "If it seems we are crazy, it is to bring glory to God. And if we are in our right minds, it is for your benefit. " 2 Corinth. 5:13 NLT Well written Jen. I love reading your blog. :-)
Anonymous said…
You guys are an encouragement and inspiration to me and I know that the Lord's goodness and mercy will follow you every day of your lives.

With love and prayer for every good gift from the Father's hand,
Laurel

Popular Posts